China donated less than 3% to the World Health Organization’s $ 675 million fundraising campaign – angering U.S. officials who say the country is responsible for it epidemic and should do more.

WHO donations are listed, and China currently ranks fourth, donating only $ 20 million to the international effort against COVID-19, which began in Wuhan at the end of the last year.

“China, which started the pandemic, has paid $ 20 million,” a senior Trump administration official told The Post. China’s cheapness was “shocking and a shame,” he said.

“They should pay at least half of the $ 675 million, if not the full amount,” said the senior official, who requested anonymity to share the sharp reprimand.

China’s guilt for the virus emerged as a key point in the debate last week when President Trump repeatedly called COVID-19 “the Chinese virus” – in retaliation, he said, for the Chinese government spokesman said the U.S. government had designed the deadly respiratory virus.

Trump said he would continue to charge China on Tuesday, telling Fox News, “Look, everyone knows this is from China, but I decided we shouldn’t be paying much attention to it.”

President Donald Trump
AFP via Getty Images

The Chinese government’s contribution to the WHO fundraising campaign lags behind Kuwait, which contributed $ 40 million, Japan, $ 47.5 million, and Germany, $ 28 million. billions of dollars.

“Since the virus started in China in December, the Chinese Communist Party has retaliated against its citizens and journalists in China for making information public, launching disinformation campaigns worldwide and restricting access to the international community has valuable information on public health, “said the senior official. An American official said.

“And now they refuse to pay even 3% to the global fund to respond to the virus that their own actions have spread quickly outside their country. It is shocking and a shame. “

The United States, the richest nation in the world, gave less than China – only $ 14.7 million. But U.S. officials point out $ 100 million in additional international funding for coronavirus relief announced in February by the State Department, and note that the United States’ annual contribution to WHO – $ 58 billion – is more than double $ 28.7 billion dollars in China.

The Chinese Embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

After initially suppressing medical reports on the virus, Chinese authorities ordered a desperate but failed lockdown of Wuhan and nearby cities.

Since January, the virus has spread around the world with associated economic havoc. Wednesday there are nearly 500,000 cases diagnosed, including more than 60,000 in the United States, half of which in New York.

Cities in the United States and Europe have closed to slow the spread of the virus.

Source —–> https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/china-slammed-for-giving-less-than-3-to-who-coronavirus-fundraiser/